Twitter has stated it will not remove Donald Trump’s account despite his provocative tweets.
Earlier this week, Trump threatened North Korea with nuclear war, telling its President, Kim Jong Un “that I too have a Nuclear Button, but it is a much bigger & more powerful one than his, and my Button works!”
“The US should know that the button for nuclear weapons is on my desk. This is not blackmail but reality,” he said.
“The entire area of the US mainland is within our nuclear strike range.
“The US can never start a war against me and our country. These weapons will be used only if our security is threatened,” he said.
Amid the ensuring uproar, which included members of Congress calling for more authority over the President’s ability to launch nuclear strikes, Twitter was again called upon to prohibit violent or abusive speech with messages that could fuel international conflict.
In a post entitled “World Leaders on Twitter,” the site said “Blocking a world leader from Twitter or removing their controversial Tweets, would hide important information people should be able to see and debate”.
“It would also not silence that leader, but it would certainly hamper necessary discussion around their words and actions,” the post said.
- Buhari wants Nigeria to be like North Korea – Fani-Kayode reacts to ‘Hate Speech’ bill
- Produce Nnamdi Kanu Within 7 Days, IPOB Tells FG, S/East Governors
- #Biafra: What IPOB will do if Nnamdi Kanu is not produced within 7 days
- Insurgency: Saudi Arabia Donates $10m To Nigeria
- Biafra: IPOB reveals what they will do until Nnamdi Kanu returns